You probably use computers and programs on a daily basis, but you might not be aware that the first “pre-computers” didn’t even use electricity or that the first computer programmer was a woman. So here are some computer programmer facts.

Computers have a huge impact on our lives, and computer programs tell those computers what to do and how to do it. For both good and bad, computer programs have altered our existence, so it’s about time you learned a little something about them.

More Similar Stuff: First FORTRAN Program |  Facts about c language
  • In 1801, Joseph Marie Jacquard invented the Jacquard loom a mechanical, automated loom. Changeable punched cards controlled the operation of the loom.
  • First Computer Programmer: Ada Lovelace
    • in 1842-1843, Lovelace translated an article about Charles Babbage’s an algorithm that is cited as the first computer program.
    • She also theorized the computer could, one day, play music and chess.
    • Ada, a U.S. Department of Defense computer language is named in her honor.
  • In 1889, HERMAN HOLLERITH developed the idea of the electric tabulating system, A Machine that could read data. Hollerith also used punched cards, known as Hollerith cards, after experimenting with paper tape.
  • Developed in 1937 and tested in 1942, the first electronic digital computer, the atanasoff-Berry Computer(ABC) was designed to solve linear equations.
  • Used in World War 2, the Colossus machines were the first programmable electronic digital computers.
  • In 1947, Grace Murray Hopper, an admiral in the U.S. Navy and computer programming pioneer, documented the first actual computer ‘bug’ when a moth got trapped in the Mark 2 Aiken Relay Calculator. They removed the moth and debugged the computer.
  • On May 6, 1949, EDSAC ran its first program: calculating a table of squares and a list of prime numbers.
  • These are prime numbers that represent information whose possession or distribution is forbidden in some legal jurisdiction.One of the first illegal primes was found in 2001. When interpreted in a particular way, it describes a computer program that bypasses the digital rights management scheme used on DVDs. Distribution of such a program has been declared illegal in the United States.
  • 92% of the world’s currency exists on computers. The remaining 8% comprises the physical money.
  • The original name for Java was Oak (after the tree that stood outside Sun Microsystems’ lead architect office). Due to copyrights issues, later it was changed to the current one.
  • Java was designed with the primary aim for use in Interactive television. Because the language was far too advanced for the digital output of cable television of the time(the early ‘90s), its implementation was deferred and it was redesigned to be used on other platforms.

More similar stuff at:  Programming Facts

FIRST HIGH-LEVEL COMPUTER PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE USED: FORTRAN

  • Invested by John Backus of IBM in 1954.
  • It was released commercially in 1957.
  • A high-level programming language is one that is far removed from the computer’s instruction architecture. It is typically more user-friendly than low-level programming languages.

More explained in below image by Elle Koning

Computer Programmer Facts

Computer Programmer Facts- I'm Programmer
Computer Programmer Facts- I’m Programmer

So guys above were Computer Programming Facts. Stay tuned for more programming stuff.