The c programming language is the mother of all languages. It’s ideal for developing firmware or portable applications. Most of the students start their programming journey with the C language. In today’s world, every programmer who has achieved the top in IT field is very much familiar with the concept of C programming. In this article, we discuss Interesting Facts About C Language. The history of C programming language is quite interesting. Today, every computer literate person is familiar with the term “C Programming”. Let’s start in brief.
MOST POPULAR C PROGRAMMING FACTS
- C Programming language Evolution: ALGO->BCPL->B->Tradition C-> K&R C-> ANSI C-> ANSI/ISO C-> C99.
- It was developed & released around the year 1972.
- One of the most interesting facts is that It was developed at Bell Laboratories in 1972 by Dennis Ritchie.
- The first programming language for the computer was Plankalkul, but C language is seen as the first high-level programming language.
- C is the only language that exists for the longest period of time in computer programming history.
- It’s really easy and fun to write a C program. You can check out How to write a C program in Linux.
- Most popular Linux Kernel and most UNIX utilities, what you would call the operating system are written in C.
- In ANSI C there are 32 keywords, the C99 standard adds 5 and C11 adds 7.
- C support 45 operators & they are categorized into 8 groups.
- We can not apply the modulo (%) operator to floating point values.
- In C there are mainly two types of constants Primary and Secondary constant.
- C is simple, elegant and wicked fast; it’s compact and efficient.
- It is not only a fundamental language but its permissive nature.
- C is not an object oriented language so you don’t get distracted by things like inheritance and polymorphism.
- C is a structured programming language which allows a complex program to be broken into simpler programs called functions.
- C language is case-sensitive.
- C language has a rich library which provides a number of built-in functions. It also offers dynamic memory allocation.
Evolution in C Programming Language:
1. ALGOL (Internation Group-in 1960)
2. BCPL (Martin Richards-in 1967)
3. B (Thompson-in 1970)
4. Tradition C (Dennis Ritchie-in 1972)
5. K&R C (Kernighan And Ritchie-in 1978)
6. ANSI C (ANSI Committee-in 1989)
7. ANSI/ISO C (ISO Committee-in 1990)
8. C99 (Standardization Committee-in 1999)
- A computer programming started in 1960 with the language ALGOL.
- In 1967 martin Richard developed a new language known as BCPL (Basic Combined Programming Language)
- In 1970 Ken Thompson developed a new language using some features of BCPL. It was known as B language.
- In 1972 Dennis Ritchie developed a new programming language with a concept of data types.
- Dennis Ritchie and Kerninghem wrote the book “The C Programming Language”.
- In1978 modify version of C language was introduced known as K & RC-Language.
- In 1989 the American National Standard Institute defined standards about the C language so, it was known as ANSI C.
- In 1990 International Standard Organization also accepted C language as a standard programming language so it was also known as C-99.